Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Autism Educational Series: An Introduction

It's been almost 7 years to the day since my oldest child, Julianna, was diagnosed with autism. Seven years of trying to understand a disorder that is so misunderstood by the general public. But one thing I know for certain: I've learned more from parents of children with autism than any doctor or therapist. Parents get it, because they live it, too. And because they get it so well, I thought it would be a good idea for some parents to share what they've learned from raising a child with autism. So I started searching popular facebook pages, and began messaging the authors, and almost instantly, I gained a whole new group of support. Most were more than willing to share and be a part of something to bring all these great pages together. And the "Autism Educational Series" was born. Over a dozen bloggers and parents, coming together for one purpose: to educate others on autism. How exciting is that??

Throughout the month of October, you will hear from amazing parents on a whole host of topics that are sure to help you with issues concerning your own child. More than that, this series will be educational to those NOT in the autism community, for these parents will get a glimpse into our world, and hopefully gain insight that bridges gaps of misunderstanding. Working together, we can accomplish so much more for children with autism. I even hope to share from children or adults affected by autism, so please let me know if you hear of anyone!

To kick off the series, I've created an image of what autism means to me:

 
 
I sincerely thank those who have taken time to write or share posts for this series. My hope is that we can all gain a greater understanding of autism, whether we're in this world or not. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment